Okay. Cooking up a rockin’ dish, and taking sweet jazzy photos weekly is getting hard. I think I might do a recipe of the month vs. a recipe of the week. :)
So, I’m shifting Tuesday from Tasty Tuesday to Tuesday Twelve. Why 12? Because 12 is my favorite number of course. :)
1. Dress to impress – Own your figure. Don’t try to keep trying to fit into those clothes you wore in high school, or “this will look better when I lose 10lbs”. The truth is, shop and wear clothes that fit you right now. I know I’ve talked about this service on this site, but I truly LOVE StitchFix. I LOVE being in style, but I also like having someone spend the time “shopping” for me. If you want to check them out, please feel free to use my referral code here.
2. Learn to budget your money – Seriously. I’d say one of the biggest lessons I have learned in my 20’s is learning to budget. At the same time, I say live your life. If there is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you don’t want to miss it, put it on the credit card, but then budget yourself after you make that purchase, so that you can pay it off. :) I like to use www.mint.com
3. Live in the moment, but plan for the future – Your 20’s is a great time to explore. If there is a cool job opportunity in another country or a city you have always dreamed of living in, do it now. Try new things, try a few different career paths, so that come your late 20’s, early 30’s you really know where you want to invest your time.
4. Own What You Want – Your 20’s is a great time to focus on you. Ditch the guy who is holding you back, or not giving you what you deserve or need. I promise you, you will find someone who is the right fit. It might take a few frogs to get to the prince charming, but you deserve the best! That goes for friends and career too.
5. Prioritize Your Friendships/Family – Your friends and family are always going to be there for you. Make sure you truly cultivate and nourish your friendships and relationships with your mom, dad, sister, brother, grandma, grandpa. They are always going to be the ones that are going to be there for you when the going gets tough or when there’s something to celebrate.
6. Take Care of Your Skin – I swear when I was 20, I did not think about my skin that much. I knew I should wear sunscreen, but I didn’t master a morning and night routine, until my late 20’s. I promise you it will pay off to use sunscreen daily. Also, washing your face in the morning and at night and using a moisturizer will do wonders for your skin. I wish I hadn’t always been so lazy to take off my make-up at night in my early 20’s. I know my skin would have been happier and much better off if I gave it time to breathe while I slept.
7. Take Care of Your Body – Establish healthy habits. Eat a balanced diet, that means indulge every once in awhile, but nourish your body so that it gets the energy it needs. Workout. Find different workouts and exercises that you love and do them often. Working out releases chemicals that make us happy. It also gives us confidence, and makes us feel sexy and good about ourselves. I love the quote “I want to look good naked.” When you look at yourself out of the shower, I want you to love what you see.
8. Accept What You Can’t Change – Your body is the way it is. There are things all of us “wish we could change”, but he truth is we were given the genes we were given, and all we can do is workout and eat a balanced diet, and beyond that it’s out of our control. In addition, you can’t change the people around you. This has been a tough learning for me. Sometimes some people or some situations just aren’t going to change. Accept it and move on. Don’t waste your time.
9. You Can’t Control Anyone Else, So There’s No Sense In Worrying – One of the biggest lessons I have learned in my 20’s. Everyone is in charge of themselves. In the end, we make our own decisions, so let go of the want to control people or situations or worrying about people or situations you can’t control. It is honestly the best feeling in the world once you let go and stop worrying.
10. Communicate – Become the best communicator you know. Compliment people, tell people times and dates that they need to know, so that they can plan their lives, speak up and tell people your needs, or if your steak was undercooked, etc. Tell people how you feel, so that no one is in the dark. Set boundaries. Set expectations. Whether in relationships or in work or your social life. If you are dating a guy, and you aren’t into it, it’s okay, be mature and honest and just say you don’t see this going any further. It’s okay! Not every guy you date is going to be “the one”, and vice versa.
11. It’s Okay To Say No – You don’t have to say “yes” to every invitation you are invited to. There are a lot of moving pieces in your 20’s, work, social life, relationships, family, etc. There is always going to be something to do. You don’t have to say yes to everything. Find balance. Take time to nurture yourself, just as much as you nurture other areas of your life.
12. Set Goals – Goals change, but it’s important to set goals so that you can always be working towards something. Set personal, health, and career goals. Update them every 6 months. It will give you a sense of accomplishment while also helping you create the life of your dreams.
What other tid bits are you learning in your 20’s or did you learn in your 20’s that you would want to pass on to others? What do you think people in their 20’s should know?